October 30, 2007

Response to "Queers Read This, I hate Straights"

I think it’s interesting how there’s pretty much a large divide between how much of a role emotion should play in activism and consciousness -raising. I personally think that strong emotion is necessary to a certain extent in terms of activism. Emotion is necessary for the organizing aspect of activism but takes a lesser importance when it actually comes to execution. However, without emotion or some expression of frustration, then most people just won’t get “it” (whether “it” denotes race, class, sexuality). It seems as though there’s only a certain amount of passiveness that can be tolerated. That’s primarily why when I read “Queers Read This; I Hate Straights”, my very first reaction was that the authors were frustrated and in search of change. I think it’s a very effective piece with regards to organizing because how can you not respond to this? Whether it is good, bad or somewhere in between, I think any response certainly beats none.

After I read this piece, I personally did not feel offended even though I’m straight. Instead (and in a strange way) I felt fired up because it put so much into perspective. This was written 17 years ago, which really isn’t that long, considering that we still in a highly homophobic society, and it’s strange to acknowledge how much privilege we have, being the “hetero” in “heteronormative”.
With regards to privilege, it’s an interesting question of whether it is a give or take process. Does some group need to give up privilege so that another can have it? I think to a certain extent, but that in turn raises the question of how exactly do you GIVE up privilege? I think it has something to do with changing a mode of thinking, and in a piece such as “Queers Read This; I hate Straights”, there’s a certain “click” that’s occurring which triggers change in some aspect (even it’s just in thought and belief). I think this same discussion occurs outside of sexuality, and specifically in the context of race. An article I’m always reminded of in the discussion of race and privilege is Peggy McIntosh’s piece “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack”. In the piece McIntosh basically addresses how everyday whites experience privilege, and in the conversation on sexuality, it’s essentially the same: we (i.e. whoever the majority maybe) don’t really recognize our privilege until someone points it out or takes it away. So, from my perspective, I didn’t exactly see it [Queers Read This] as material meant to make straight people feel bad, but rather something meant to open their eyes (and ears as expressed in the proclamation “Shut up and listen”!)

*I really believe that an image is worth a thousand words. Notice how these are from popular sellers (like Calvin Klein) and how it promotes love & sex (but only between men and women)


No comments: